An absorbing journey about riding the waves of life, overcoming childhood loss, and letting go of the mistakes that barricade us from our potential.
Genre: Sports Romance
Publication Date: June 21, 2016
A professional surfer struggles to reclaim the Championship when a travel writer is assigned to observe his journey between events. What seems like a dangerous diversion, both in and out of the water, forces him to accept that there’s more missing from his life than another trophy.
When he won his first World Title at eighteen, they said he’d be the greatest professional surfer to ever compete. Fourteen years later, Dean “DeBaz” Bazner is inching towards retirement having never clinched another Title. This year he’s pushing limits to prove his beginning wasn’t a fluke, and it’s working. Until she comes along.
You don’t have to know anything about surfing for it to change your life. Travel writer Azure Thomas can attest to that. She was navigating the changing world of freelance journalism when she took this gig. She wasn’t prepared for a man that connects to her profound loss and sacrifices everything, except his soul, to live his dream. He’s more than a hot magazine cover, and surfing is more than a hobby. The dangerous diversion, in and out of the water, forces Dean to accept there’s more missing from his life than another trophy.
Amongst tropical breezes, in the most beautiful locations on earth, CHASING SWELLS is an absorbing journey about riding the waves of life, overcoming childhood loss, and letting go of the mistakes that barricade us from our potential.
Top Ten List
Welcome, A.L. to my humble home on cyberspace.. As a fellow writer, it makes me curious. What are the Top Ten Things that inspired you to become a writer?
Ten Things That Inspired Me To Be A Writer
- The work of others. Whether it’s striving to be half as great or trying to prove that I can be better, other writers drive the force behind my engine.
- My husband. He’s not only encouraged me to go for it, but has also been very patient with the long hours I put into it as a second career.
- The first time a reader became a fan and told me what my book meant to her. There’s this unbelievable feeling of acceptance when even one person you don’t know takes time to express their love for your writing.
- A creative writing professor in college used the lyrics of my favorite Radiohead song to explain a core writing principle: “Don’t get sentimental, it always ends up drivel” That flipped a switch for me in regards to killing your darlings and has inspired me to edit with abandon
- Keeping it a secret. I never even told my husband I was writing my first book until the first draft was complete.
- Love and conflict. Those elements provides me endless inspiration.
- Some of the lesser quality romance novels I read in the beginning gave me courage to try my own hand at it.
- The challenge of piecing together a story from just an initial idea. It’s a thrill to bring something like that to life.
- The idea that maybe someday I can design the movie if one of my books takes off.
- Realism in romantic stories inspires me to keep going. I strive to convey how ordinary people who are magnetic and beautiful in their own way find lasting love.
Thanks for your time, A.L.! I’m totally with you on #6 to 10, but definitely #8. It’s what keeps me going, too, especially when you get to repeat it with each book you finish. The feeling is just…exhilarating.
Loved it! A. L. Goulden knows how to keep you turning pages. The characters are fully developed and don’t fall flat.
– aclaremont, Amazon Reviewer
Catching waves has never been sexier! This story is beautiful because you have a woman that is not confident doing a job where confidence is key to getting what you want and a guy who has all the confidence for both of them.
– The Book Fairy Reviews, Amazon Reviewer
NEW! Available in audiobook format starting from July 31.
Also, other formats available now for $2.99 only.
WIN $10 AMAZON GIFT CARD
About A.L. Goulden
A. L. Goulden has a BFA in Film Production from the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. Her love of a good story came way before college, but when numerous instructors and peers praised her dialogue she realized her creative writing hobby was a skill worth honing. Her 18 year career in interior design, production design and art direction for film and television have spun a unique perspective on visually emotional tales of relationships and the thread that ties all things together.
Connect with A.L. Goulden on social media:
Discover more features, excerpts, reviews, interviews, fun facts and other extras from July 25 to Aug 7.
In partnership with